Thousands of rural poor particularly tribals, dalits, share-croppers and poor peasants of South Odisha thronged the streets of Berhampur in Odisha on 4th of March on the occasion of CPI(ML) New Democracy’s Jana Sanghrash Samabesh.
This rally was called for demanding
1) to distribute land to landless amending the existing pro-landlord Odisha Land Reforms Act,
2) rights over forest to tribals and poor non tribal forest dwellers as per the Forest Right Act,
3) To stop the loot of resource and forcible land acquisition in the name of development,
4) To hike minimum wage to Rs.300,
5) To give legal rights to lakhs of share croppers who constitute more than 60% of the peasantry in Odisha and
6) end to police repression on poor particularly the tribals in the name of anti-Maoist operation in forest areas.
On the call of CPI(ML)ND thousands of rural poor from seven districts namely Ganjam, Gajapati, Rayagada, Kandhamal, Kalahandi, Koraput and Nayagada congregated at the Berhampur railway station in the early hours of 4th March. By 12 pm a huge rally of nearly eight thousand people full of red flags and banners and traditional weapons started from the railway station. The rally crossed most of the important squares and streets of Berhampur and ended in front of the Revenue Divisional Commissioner’s Office.… Read More